Sunday, January 10, 2010

Saturday spent thrifting.




We went to a "thrift" store way out in West Philly today.  While I didn't see too many things that I liked I found a few not so thrifty things, such as this desk.  I didn't enjoy sitting at my old desk.  I loved that it was small and had clean lines but it needed lots of work.  The drawers had to be fixed, it was a little unsteady, also it needed to be sanded and repainted.  I like that this desk, while having the same dimensions as the other desk, takes up a lot more visual space.  This room is small and this side of the room needed something substantial.  I think that sometimes in a small room you have to go large so that things don't look too cluttered. Click here  and here to see more pictures of my room.

 I love the juxtaposition of the ornate desk next to the yellow industrial clamp lamp (eBay) and red metal filing cabinet (Ikea).


The desk is solid wood and extremely heavy. It is in excellent condition. 



Since we are talking about the desk I might as well mention the chair...I upholstered this chair (which we got with the dining table) in this fabric from Ikea.  I love black and white fabrics and I've accumulated a small collection. 



This is the old desk.  For now I am moving it to the basement but in the future when I have some free time I will sand it and refinish it.  It will either go into Kiran's room or in the office room as a table for my sewing machine (not yet purchased).

Here are some pictures of the yellow porcelain  cups that we got (they were very thrifty at $5 for eight of them):

No comments: